UI On Screen
This API is used to navigate to a specific screen for UI testing. Test Steps of this kind should have additional sub-steps underneath to perform actions on the page, such as a UI Action or UI Assert.
UI On Screen is generally a parent step for operations such as UI Action and UI Assert. (When testing a table, UI With Row will also be added underneath UI On Screen to locate the element within the table.)
Many page types can be handled using UI On Screen, including standard Salesforce pages, Visualforce pages and non-Salesforce pages.
This step is generally added automatically when using the Test Builder. This is recommended as the fastest way to add this kind of Test Step, although it is also possible to use drag-and-drop from the API Palette.
Since UI On Screen Test Steps are generally created from the Test Builder, the user does not need to know how to populate these fields from scratch. However it is useful to describe all the available parameters for editing and debugging purposes.
In the example above, the screen being located is the New screen of the Contact object.
The full parameters are defined as follows (divided by section):
- Connection Name: The Connection currently in use
- Screen Type: The type of page. This will be ‘Salesforce Page’ for any standard Salesforce pages, such as an Account view screen, or ‘Page Object (Selenium)’ for Visualforce or non-Salesforce pages)
- Object / Action: The Salesforce Object and the operation which the page performs in Salesforce (e.g. New, Edit, Clone)
- Record Type: The record type of the Object where relevant. (In Salesforce, different page layouts can be assigned based on Record Type)
Note that these options will vary if the screen is not a standard Salesforce page. When testing Visualforce or non-Salesforce page, the parameters are as follows:
In this case the Page Object identifies the Page Object in use and the Web Page shows a specific URL that the test should navigate to, if Navigate is specified as ‘Always Navigate’ (see next section). Refer to Introduction to Visualforce Testing for more information on Page Objects.
Navigate indicates whether Provar should navigate directly to this page. This is generally defaulted to ‘Don’t Navigate’, so that the test is guided by its preceding Test Steps. An exception is at the very beginning of a test, when the first On Screen Test Step will default to ‘Always Navigate’.
It is also possible to set Navigate to ‘Only if the address doesn’t match’ or ‘Only if the address doesn’t match (excluding query params)’. These options indicate that Provar should navigate directly to the page only if the URL does not match the information provided in the Screen Parameters of the Test Step. The additional option ‘(excluding query params)’ will ignore any query parameters present in the URL when evaluating whether the address matches or not.
Other Option Parameters are as follows:
- Window: Use this to change the window in focus. Defaults to ‘Stay on the currently focussed window’. Choosing ‘Select main window’ will move focus to the main parent window and execute the next Test Step in the parent window. Choosing ‘Select the most recently opened window’ will switch back to the most recent window if there are multiple windows
- Window Size: Determines the size of the browser window to run the test in. Subsequent Test Steps will be executed on this browser window size. Defaults to ‘Default’. Choosing ‘Maximize’ will maximize the browser window is maximized as soon as the Test Step is executed
- Close Window: Indicates whether Provar should close the window after sub-steps have been performed
For more information on Screenshot Before, Screenshot After, Result Name and Result Scope, refer to Common Test Step Parameters.