Test APIs Introduction
Provar has a rich set of Test APIs to perform different testing activities.
In general, to use an API in your test, locate it in the Test APIs view (also known as the API Palette) and click and drag it into your Test Case. This will create a Test Step corresponding to that API.
In the case of UI Test Steps, these Test Steps can often be created more quickly using the Test Builder. This process is often preferable to drag-and-drop from the API Palette, since more options can be prefilled for the user. When this option is available for an API, it will be described on the API’s help page with step-by-step examples. Refer to Adding UI Test Steps for an introduction to using the Test Builder.
While in Provar Desktop, the Assistant
view will also display further information on a given Test API.
Test APIs view (API Palette)
The Test APIs view looks like this:
There are 11 different sections. Use the hyperlinks below to learn more about each.
- Control: These APIs offer control logic such as decision statements, loops and asserting information and setting values in variables.
- UI Testing: These APIs perform user interface testing and are best added through the Test Builder. Refer to Adding UI Test Steps for more information.
- BDD: These APIs support a Behavior-Driven Development approach to testing.
- Database: These APIs support database testing by providing data addition and modification operations on your database connection. These are generally deprecated in favor of using a Database Connection. Refer to Database Testing Setup and Query Operations for more information.
- Design & Reporting
- Force.com: These APIs support various Salesforce- and Force.com-specific operations such as loading test data into Salesforce (APEX Bulk) and testing Salesforce layouts (Extract Salesforce Layout and Assert Salesforce Layout).
- List: This API compares lists of data in an Excel spreadsheet.
- Messaging: These APIs support email testing by providing send and receipt testing. Refer to Email Testing Setup and Email Testing Examples for more information.
- Read / Write: These APIs read data from Excel into a Provar Test Case and vice versa. Refer to Data Driven Testing for more information or download the Data Driven Testing module of the Quickstart Guide for a thorough introduction.
- String APIs: These APIs support manipulation of string variables. They are often used in email testing.
- Web: These APIs support web services testing. Refer to Web Services Testing for more information.